Foster Dogs Breeding Program
Kentfield Kennels has been breeding Labradors for over 30 years and has specialized in breeding service quality Labradors for more than 15 years. We have been fortunate to have developed a breeding program that many service dog organizations, training schools and individuals come to us for the high quality of our dogs. Our mission is to produce dogs that are healthy, have the correct character, intelligence and trainability that is required in a service dog.
One unique feature of our breeding program is that our breeding dogs do not live in a kennel environment. We have partnered with a network of families who all invest their love and care in exchange for the joy of having one of our girls become part of their family and positively impacting the lives of many other special needs family's across the United States. In many studies it has been proven that the female dog has puppies of a higher quality if she well loved in her home environment.
What to expect:
Kentfield Kennels will choose a pick of the litter puppy that we would like to keep in our breeding program, and this will be the puppy that will become your dog. We cover most veterinarian expenses. We typically breed three (+-) times and then they are spayed and transferred into your name to live with you for the remainder of their lives. Because of the significant value we place on our breeding stock and the need for healthy litters to further our mission, our foster care breeding families are carefully screened. Breeder hosts are selected based on the following criteria:
- Commitment to our mission
- Ability to provide a safe, secure and caring home environment, including keeping the dog safe and secure at your home when in season.
- Dog will live as an indoor family member, not as an outdoor kennel dog
- Feed recommended dog food & NuVet vitamins while in foster care program
- Willingness and ability to comply with our protocols and practices
- Flexibility to accommodate breeding schedules and program needs
- Lives within 200 miles of Kentfield Kennels
- Participate in group or private dog obedience classes
- Agrees not to use doggy daycare or dog parks until contract is complete
Puppies born to our foster dogs will become service dogs for children in need, veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress, diabetes detection dogs, search & rescue and more.
From each of our foster dogs one puppy (from a litter of 6 or more puppies) will be donated to a service dog organization to be trained for a financially challenged family in need of a service dog. Our foster families are given the option to help choose the non-profit organization where their foster dog's donation puppy will be going.
We do require a refundable deposit for our Breeding Stock dogs.
If you think you would like to become a part of the Kentfield Kennels Foster Care Breeding Program by providing the loving care to one of our dogs, contact Kentfield Kennels for details and to set up a time to visit and begin the interview process.