Started Puppy Training Program
This program is for family's that want a started puppy. I will help you choose which puppy is the best fit for your family from the litter of puppies you will be purchasing. Usually this is done when the puppy is 7 to 8 weeks old.
Our puppies are well socialized beginning at day 3 after they are born. We incorporate a method called the “Super Dog Program” that is used to develop a confident, smart, ready to learn puppy and dog. We also puppy test our litters to see what puppy will be successful as service dogs, hunting companions and most important a great family pet before they go to their new family.
Your puppy will stay with us here at Kentfield Kennels until he/she is 4 months old and will receive daily training. Our positive reinforcement methods help to build a relationship with respect and trust, not fear and punishment. We use treats, toys, praise - whatever your dog finds rewarding. These methods help to create dogs that are happy and enthusiastic to learn. This method of training often provides quality, long - lasting results.
Each puppy enjoys our special area built for our training program, their own clean, comfortable crate and individual kennel. We encourage our puppy's family to bring a sturdy stuffed animal and/or bedding that your puppy will sleep with and will take to his/her new home. This makes the transition from our kennel to the puppy's new home much easier.
We do require all started puppies in training have dog health insurance. Accidents and injuries are rare, yet they do happen.
Areas we focus on:
- Crate training
- House trained to our home, making it easier to potty train to your home.
- Sleeps all night in crate.
- Introduce walking calmly on leash
- Heel on leash without pulling, including following the handler when turning left and right.
- Sit automatically when handler stops walking.
- Walks politely without jumping up on people or sniffing excessively at humans.
- Sit, stay & come
- Sit, Sit and stay.
- Come directly into front center of handler when called.
- Discourage jumping
- Verbal command off or down. Knee correction.
- Allows a stranger to pet while puppy stays in a sit position.
- Puppy will not get up, jump or bark when a stranger approaches or while it is being petted.
- Wait at gates and doorways until verbal command to go
- Wait for food dish to be place on floor and verbal command ok to eat
- Walking up & down stairs
- Bait training
- Rewards puppy for learning a new command.
- Teaches a soft mouth.
- After command is successfully learned reward is transitioned to petting and "good dog"
- Nipping & mouthing corrections
- Medium squeeze of mouth with a no command.
- Socialized with other dogs & lots of people
- Socializes with all dogs here including adult dogs.
- Learning dog pack manners.
- Corrections with spray bottle.
- Using the word quiet to stop excessive barking.
Please remember that these are Started Puppies, they will need to continue in training when they go into their new family home to establish good habits that will carry on into adulthood. As with children, they will test you to see if you know what they can do. These puppies have learned to learn and are eager to please you. Enjoy them as much as we have!
You will be invited to visit your puppy every 1st & 3rd Saturday of the month if it is being trained at our Sebastopol, CA kennel. During this time we encourage you to take the puppy out for a walk in a local park or just down our private road so that your puppy can get to know you & you can see how your puppy is progressing. We will also train puppies at our kennel in Crescent, OK that is run & managed by our son, Jake. When the puppies are finished being trained at our Oklahoma kennel we will fly back to pick up puppies and bring them back to California.
Please read our visitation requirements before coming to our home and kennel. This is not the time to try to introduce another pet to your puppy, you want to devote 100% of your attention on your new puppy for these short visits.
We will only take a few puppies in this program. This assures that your puppy will get the time it needs to become a well trained puppy ready for your family. We have found that our excellent puppy raising from the day the puppy is born makes our training program quite unique and successful.
All of our puppies are registered with the American Kennel Club, micro-chipped and enrolled in the AKC ReUnite program before they go into a new family home. Our puppies are also given 3 separate puppy shots, treatment for Coccidia & giardia, heartworm and flea treatment started. This service is included in training fee paid weekly for your puppy. Puppies will have a complete puppy packet including information on shots, worming schedule and medication that has been given, that you will need to share with your vet. A written guarantee, and the basic schedule of sleeping and feeding that the puppy has been raised on will also be some of the information in your puppy packet.
Our fee for this service is $300 a week.